Google AI
The Times Australia

Times Media Advertising

Government faces likely High Court challenge to its CFMEU legislation

  • Written by: Michelle Grattan, Professorial Fellow, University of Canberra



The Albanese government faces a likely High Court challenge to its installation of an administrator into the construction division of the CFMEU.

As thousands of the union’s members held rallies in cities across the country, its former Queensland secretary Michael Ravbar – who’s been dismissed together with almost all other officials – said he would launch a challenge against the legislation passed last week to put the union into administration. An administrator was immediately installed.

Ravbar told the Brisbane rally: “This is going to be the biggest challenge and the biggest fight that we’ve ever had, but we’re all up for it. You’ve got to get control of our union back.”

Ravbar urged members to vote against Labor at the October state election and next year’s federal election, and attacked Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, who he said had “always been anti-union”.

The High Court action is likely to argue the Commonwealth lacked the authority to take over a democratically organised union and sack nearly 300 officials, who had not been convicted of any offence. No court was involved in the action. Earlier court proceedings that were underway, brought by the Fair Work Commission’s general manager, are set to be discontinued after the government’s action.

The government said late Tuesday it was not aware of any CFMEU challenge.

On Tuesday Prime Minister Anthony Albanese denied the claim by the union’s former Victorian secretary John Setka that the government had made “a deal” with the union that there would be no move for an administrator if he resigned his position.

Setka claimed on Channel 7 at the weekend that after Nine sent allegations of malfeasance to the union, he had offered to “pull the pin today” so the union would avoid administrators being sent into the Victorian branch. He had conveyed this to the union’s national secretary Zach Smith.

He claimed there had been talks between Smith, then Workplace Relations minister Tony Burke and ACTU national secretary Sally McManus.

“At twenty to six the call came through, [saying] yes, there’s a deal. Now when you do a deal with the government you expect them to honour it,” Setka said.

“I think Tony Burke has betrayed construction workers in Australia.”

Nine published a series of devastating allegations of criminal infiltration of the union, bullying and bribery. The government immediately made it clear publicly Setka’s resignation and other actions by the union to try to ward off intervention were not enough.

Albanese told a news conference: “Obviously we didn’t make a deal. The evidence is in what’s happened”. The PM said he “not quite sure why people gave [Setka] some more oxygen. But John Setka is someone who will always look for publicity.”

Greens MP Max Chandler-Mather, addressing the Brisbane rally, said: “Labor has used these untested allegations to attack an entire union”.

Read more https://theconversation.com/government-faces-likely-high-court-challenge-to-its-cfmeu-legislation-237561

Times Magazine

Australians Are Keeping Their Cars Longer — And It’s Changing The Market

Australia’s car market is undergoing a subtle but important transformation. People are keeping th...

Streaming Fatigue: Australians Overwhelmed By Subscriptions

Streaming was once supposed to simplify entertainment. Instead, many Australians now feel overwhe...

Why Shopping Centres No Longer Feel Exciting

There was a time when going to the shopping centre felt like an event. Families spent entire Satu...

Harry And Meghan: Less Powerful As Royals, More Powerful As Content

For all the claims of “Harry and Meghan fatigue”, the world’s media still cannot stop talking abou...

Surprising things Aussies do to ‘manifest’ winning a dream home as Australia’s biggest ever prize unveiled

Dream Home Art Union has unveiled its biggest prize in its 70-year history supporting veterans - a...

A Beginner’s Guide To Louis Vuitton: The Style, The Products And The Global Obsession

Luxury fashion can sometimes appear intimidating to newcomers. The terminology, the prices, the bo...

The Times Features

Property Paralysis: Buyers Hesitate As Australia’s Hous…

Australia’s property market may still be active, but beneath the auctions, listings and glossy rea...

The Return Of Practical Luxury: Buyers Want Quality Aga…

For years, consumer culture revolved around speed and abundance. Fast fashion.Fast furniture.Fast...

People Are Going Out Less — And Businesses Know It

Restaurants are full on some nights. Concerts still sell tickets. Sporting events attract crowds. ...

Why Shopping Centres No Longer Feel Exciting

There was a time when going to the shopping centre felt like an event. Families spent entire Satu...

The Liberal Party Faces Its Greatest Question Since Men…

When Robert Menzies founded the Liberal Party of Australia in the aftermath of World War II, Austr...

The Noise Around the 2026 Federal Budget Does Not Match…

Every time the government changes the rules around property investment, the same thing happens. Ph...

Hollywood’s Summer Spectacle Is Heading To Australia

American cinemas are entering one of the biggest blockbuster summers in years, and Australian audi...

Lasagne Takes Centre Stage at Chiswick Woollahra This W…

  This winter, Chiswick is launching a Lasagne Series, bringing together chefs from across the Solo...

WEST HQ WHAT’S ON

From major sporting moments and immersive family experiences to standout dining and world-class live...